Digital Illustrations by Artem Cheboha
Russian based CGI artist and painter Artem Cheboha creates beautiful illustrations.
(hat tip exhibition-ism)
Secrets of Whale Shark Migration Revealed:
Published August 21, 2013
The world’s biggest fish are hungry migrators on a mission, according to a tracking study that mapped whale sharks’ long journeys around the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean to a favorite feeding hot spot off the Yucatan Peninsula.
And one whale shark’s incredible 5,000-mile (7,200-kilometer) swim could even help solve the long-standing mystery of where whale sharks give birth—an event no scientist has ever seen.
[The data] could help answer a question that has plagued whale shark researchers for years: Where are all the females? Quintana Roo is more than 70 percent male, and other global aggregations show the same gender imbalance.
"You can’t have a stable population with that many males. You don’t see that in nature," Hueter said.
"The females have to be somewhere, and we hypothesize that mature, pregnant females undergo long migrations to the middle of the ocean, near seamounts or remote islands … and that’s where they give birth," Hueter explained. "In coastal zones where the feeding aggregations are, their young-which are less than two feet long at birth—might be subject to higher predation."
He added, “We feel good about the hypothesis, but it’s out there to be tested. So now we’ll have to see if it’s proven right in the years to come.”
“When they were little girls, they decided that they would be best friends forever. A whale never forgets a promise.” -Anneliese Juergensen
i have now died. of joy.
Orca - Watercolour, ink and white gel pen on paper. About 1 hour
Narwhal Plush Toy Giveaway 2.0! Yup, ANOTHER free plush for you :)
This time, the narwhal is FLUFFFYYYYyy!!!
Why: Shameless advertising for my etsy store of course :P
How: Reblog ONCE only. LIKES do not count. You don’t even need to follow me :)
- Click the link above to see what you’re gonna get ;)
- NO giveaway-only blogs please. I will check.
- Will ship within the US ONLY. (If You reside elsewhere, but is willing to pay for shipping, feel free to enter!)
- Will contact winner via ASK box. If winner does not reply within 24 hrs, another winner will be chosen.
- Winner will be picked on Nov. 18th (or sooner)
- BONUS 10 entries: IF you or your friend purchases a narwhal plush from my Etsy, Ebay, Bonanza,or Storenvy shop (all username is RainingSugar) AND include a note to me with: My tumblr account is_________, Extra 10 entries please!
Spread the Narwhalness, Best of Luck and Cheers!
Source: Flickr / diegografico
Two people swim with a young whale shark (Rhincodon typus) in La Paz Bay, Sea of Cortez (Gulf of California), Baja California, Mexico. Picture: Mark Carwardine / Nature Picture Library / Rex Features
Sperm Whale. (PicHunting)
Page 1 of 3